1939-1959 wooden tower
|Registry Numbers||US 1735, AL 15 (view other lookout sites in United States, Alabama)|
|Date Registered||December 8, 2018|
|Nominated by||Al Pelham|
Talladega National Forest
Cleburne County, Alabama
N 33° 52.939' W 085° 35.248' (view using Google Maps)
N 33° 52' 56" W 085° 35' 15"
N 33.882320° W 085.587460°
|Elevation||2,155 ft (657 m)|
|Administered by||U.S. Forest Service|
Duggar Mountain Tower was completed by the CCC in 1939 for the U.S. Forest Service's Talladega National Forest. It was a 28-foot wooden tower with a 12'x12' cab. It was replaced around 1959-1960 with a 60' steel tower relocated from Burgess Point.
A USGS survey monument is located several hundred feet away from the tower site at the very highest point on Duggar Mountain. The datasheet for the monument indicates it was located beneath the site of the original lookout tower and that the 1939 CCC tower was the second at this location. Anchors in the rock also suggest there was a previous tower at the summit, likely a pole-type tower.
Photo courtesy of Al Pelham