Temple Lookout - 1947
|Registry Numbers||US 1927, CA 107 (view other lookout sites in United States, California)|
|Date Registered||February 19, 2020|
|Nominated by||Brad Eells|
|Location||Los Angeles County, California|
N 34° 06.778' W 118° 00.033' (view using Google Maps)
N 34° 06' 47" W 118° 00' 02"
N 34.112968° W 118.000552°
|Elevation||361 ft (110 m)|
|Administered by||Los Angeles County Fire Department|
Temple Lookout was a 8x8 observation cabin on a 75 foot X-Brace open steel tower. A residence cabin and garage was also built.
The lookout was dedicated on June 2, 1937. William D. Reed was the first lookout operator.
The location is described as California Street, north of Arrow Highway. The site was a low elevation location designed to have a full view of San Gabriel, Sawpit and Dalton Canyons as well as the entire San Gabriel Mountains front range.
Temple was closed in 1947 due to smog rendering it's view of the mountain front useless. The structure was shortly thereafter dismantled and the property returned to the City of Monrovia.
Temple Lookout Closure Article