|Registry Numbers||US 556, NY 10 (view other lookout sites in United States, New York)|
|Date Registered||January 18, 2009|
|Nominated by||Bill Starr|
Suffolk County, New York
N 40° 50.690' W 073° 01.970' (view using Google Maps)
N 40° 50' 41" W 073° 01' 58"
N 40.844833° W 073.032833°
|Elevation||323 ft (98 m)|
This Aermotor model LS-40 with 60' concrete footings, steel structure, wood steps and landing platforms was built in 1918, closed in 1959, and and removed in 1960 by the NY State Conservation Commission - Bureau of Forest Fire Control. The Telescope Hill fire tower had an additional cab installed during the war. The upper cab housed Civil Defense personnel while the Forest Fire Observer occupied the lower cab. The Telescope Hill fire tower, at different times, spotted three Nazi U-Boats off the Atlantic coast and one sighting actually led to the capture of a German U-Boat. The land is now privately held.
1918 NY State Dept. of Environmental Conservation photo
1918 NY State Archives photo