Photo courtesy of Kristin Reynolds
|Registry Numbers||US 1932, VA 35 (view other lookout sites in United States, Virginia)|
|Date Registered||March 24, 2020|
|Nominated by||James Hull|
|Location||Spotsylvania County, Virginia|
N 38° 12.767' W 077° 43.467' (view using Google Maps)
N 38° 12' 46" W 077° 43' 28"
N 38.212778° W 077.724444°
|Elevation||423 ft (129 m)|
|National Historic Lookout Register||US 1191, VA 38|
|Administered by||Private (formerly Virginia Department of Forestry)|
This 80-foot Aermotor tower was built in February 1928. It was the second tower named Chancellor to be built in Spotsylvania County. The property it is on is a beautiful wooded lot that was originally intended to be small neighborhoods but the funds for such never came to allow that to happen. The tower was open to the public for visits in the 1920s and 1930s. It was manned until the late 1960s. The most special feature of this tower is the inscription in the concrete at the bottom of the stairs up the tower: "Prevent Forest Fires." It appears to be the only tower so inscribed.
The tower was removed circa 2019.
Drone image of site in August 2019
Prevent Forest Fires Concrete Block