|Registry Numbers||US 524, NY 1 (view other lookout sites in United States, New York)|
|Date Registered||June 23, 2009|
|Nominated by||Henry Isenberg|
Suffolk County, New York
N 40° 52.650' W 072° 51.850' (view using Google Maps)
N 40° 52' 39" W 072° 51' 51"
N 40.877500° W 072.864167°
|Elevation||132 ft (40 m)|
This Aermotor model LS-40 with 60' concrete footings, steel structure, wood steps and landing platforms, sat on what was the U.S.Army's Camp Upton which is now the Brookhaven National Laboratory. The tower was built in 1932, closed in 1953, and removed in 1955 by the NY State Conservation Dept. - Bureau of Forest Fire Control. This site is about 3 miles northeast of the town of Yaphank, NY.
1946 NY State Dept. of Environmental Conservation photo